Re: What's the purpose of the `--enable-ld` option of `configure`?

On 4/18/13 12:39 PM, "Hibou57" <yannick_duchene@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The top-level configure script is shared between GCC and the GNU
>> binutils and gdb.  The --enable-ld option is relevant for the
>> binutils, not for GCC.
>>
>> As far as I know it is not documented other than the --help output.
>> It is paired with --enable-gold.
>>
>> Ian
>
>So that may mean options not documented in the reference documentation,
>may
>as much be specific to common things of GCC and BinUtils. That will help
>know.
>
>Talking about options documentations, here are two worth to be posted, to
>complete the first:
>
>http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/configure.html
>Some of the options more documented here, are parts of the options
>available
>with configure.
>
>sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_14.html
>A page about autotools, which documents some of the options commons to
>typical configurations.

Another place to look is the crosstool-ng source.
http://crosstool-ng.org/hg/crosstool-ng/file/7fe58a4f79f8/scripts/build/bin
utils/binutils.sh#l150

They don't seem to use enable-ld with gcc, just with binutils. If we built
binutils with gold, we still need to tell gcc to use gold or ld (default).
http://crosstool-ng.org/hg/crosstool-ng/file/7fe58a4f79f8/scripts/build/cc/
gcc.sh#l751

Hope that helps.