Re: gcc 4.8.0 prerequisites

> On 04/07/2013 02:46 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> >
> >> Required versions of gmp/mpfr/mpc clearly stated in the docs:
> >> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html
> >> I'm not sure how you could miss that.
> >>
> >> cloog/ppl/isl are not required (unless you want the optional Graphite
> >> loop optimisation support)
> >>
> >> Systemtap is not required. If you have it, it needs to be a fairly
> >> recent version.
> >>
> >> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC gives a foolproof recipe.
> >
> > I take some exception to the language on that page and perhaps I can
> > edit it to be a bit more cross platform and in the spirit of open
> > source.
>
> GCC is free software.

Yes, of course. Free as in beer. Love it.

However it would be nice, and I must find a way to find the right tone here
such that I am not perceived as picking an argument for the sake of
entertainment or some axe to grind, if the RTFM-averse crowd were
told that "hey, no promise anything is up to date or even works" unless
you build it yourself.

> > There clearly seems to be a heavy leaning towards Linux distros here
> > where Debian is directly mentioned and the assumption is made that
> > pre-built ( by someone magic ) packages exist out in the world.
>
> Well, yes.  GCC was originally, as its name suggests, the compiler for
> the GNU operating system, which these days mostly means GNU/Linux.
> These days GCC is used for all manner of other things as well, but
> it's not unreasonable to favour free software distributions on the
> wiki.

I am not up to speed on the GPL or BSD license language but I would think
that Illumos or FreeBSD or OpenBSD would fall into the category of "free
distros" however, let's not get obscure. Ever seen Illumos? I sure haven't
an I should have.  So yes, I think that being milk and cookie friendly to
the Debian/Ubuntu folks makes sense. I get it.  Really I do.

> > The libs that are really needed, gmp/mpfr/mpc do *need* to be built
> > from sources on Solaris.  They may be available on the BSD's and may
> > be available for Debian and Red Hat Enterprise Linux but I run all
> > of these operating systems in fairly up to date revs.  None of them
> > are up to date with regards to gmp/mpfr and mpc. Not one of them.
>
> In which case, all you have to do is go as far as the sceond
> paragraph, which says:
>
>  * Alternatively, after extracting the GCC source archive, simply run
>    the ./contrib/download_prerequisites script in the GCC source
>    directory. That will download the support libraries and create
>    symlinks, causing them to be built automatically as part of the GCC
>    build process.

Therein lay my reasons to bristle a bit.  The bits one gets from the cute
download_prerequisites script are dusty at best. Thus :

MPFR=mpfr-2.4.2
GMP=gmp-4.3.2
MPC=mpc-0.8.1

Well my most recent bootstraps of GCC 4.8.0 were done with :

.
.
. < snippet from the libmpc testsuite report >
GMP: include 5.1.1, lib 5.1.1
MPFR: include 3.1.2, lib 3.1.2
MPC: include 1.0.1, lib 1.0.1
C compiler: /usr/local/gcc4/bin/gcc
GCC: yes
GCC version: 4.7.2
PASS: tget_version
All 64 tests passed

The versions provided by the "download_prerequisites" are years behind the
times and much has been done in those numerical software projects.

So perhaps the script and the tarballs at ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/
could be brought into this decade?  Couldn't hurt.

Dennis