Re: gcc 4.8.0 prerequisites

> Required versions of gmp/mpfr/mpc clearly stated in the docs:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html
> I'm not sure how you could miss that.
>
> cloog/ppl/isl are not required (unless you want the optional Graphite
> loop optimisation support)
>
> Systemtap is not required. If you have it, it needs to be a fairly
> recent version.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC gives a foolproof recipe.

I take some exception to the language on that page and perhaps I can
edit it to be a bit more cross platform and in the spirit of open source.

There clearly seems to be a heavy leaning towards Linux distros here
where Debian is directly mentioned and the assumption is made that
pre-built ( by someone magic ) packages exist out in the world. The
libs that are really needed, gmp/mpfr/mpc do *need* to be built from
sources on Solaris.  They may be available on the BSD's and may be
available for Debian and Red Hat Enterprise Linux but I run all of these
operating systems in fairly up to date revs.  None of them are up to
date with regards to gmp/mpfr and mpc. Not one of them.

I feel strongly, and I must point this out, that for a person to take on
the task of building GCC for themselves that we, long time users of
and packagers of GCC, should take responsibility to point out that you
will never get a testsuite report from anyone unless you do it yourself.

Building gmp/mpfr/mpc is *not* overly difficult and one does get the
very tangible and real benefit of knowing that what you have built
does indeed pass all the provided testsuites for each respective lib.

This is critical.  Otherwise anyone anywhere, me for example, could build
a GCC package for download and release garbage which fails most of
its own testsuite and results in C++ exceptions and faulty code being
created. As a sidenote I am still amazed to this day that Red Hat does
not publish a testsuite for the released GCC in RHEL when one considers
that GCC is almost certainly the single most important open source
bit in the OS other than the kernel itself. Again, my opinion which I base
on the fact that GCC is needed to produce the kernel.  That opinion as
well as my feeling that Red Hat has created the most trusted name in linux
distros. [ sorry .. I often say what I think ]

So, perhaps I have had too much coffee, but I feel that the language on
the wiki needs a tweak to indicate that there is great value in having
a testsuite report in hand for the GCC compiler package you just built
from scratch, and that means gmp/mpfr/mpc must also be built from
sources and each of them tested also.  Certainly when one veers away
from the Debian/Ubuntu/RHEL et al world.

Dennis Clarke