Re: issues with gcc 4.4.6

6.3.2013 11:50, GUPTA, GAURAV G (GAURAV) kirjoitti:

I had a very basic question - Do I need to build the GCC in 2 stages or 3 stages. Please note that mine is the case of cross compilation .Because as I understood it in first stage gcc needs to be built without any headers  .

Some bullshit in the net has caused this misunderstanding?

A normal cross GCC for a system target like Linux is a "second incarnation of the original native GCC".
So one needs to do only :

1. copy the target C library into the $sysroot

2. configure and build the target binutils, hosted on the $host system, using '--with-sysroot=' to point
   to the target C library

3. configure and build the target GCC, hosted on the $host system, using '--with-sysroot=' to point
   to the target C library

and be happy!

A normal cross GCC so could for instance be one hosted on a Fedora 14/i386 system and targeted to a Fedora 18/ARM system, and use the glibc RPMS for the latter system as the target C library in the
chosen $sysroot...