compiling issues

Hi, my name is Justin Lowe and I have a macbook pro retina with OSX 10.8.2 and I have been trying to code in C for my programming class and I have been trying to figure out how to compile it on my mac using Xcode 4.5.2, I have downloaded the command line tools and installed them.  I can code using the template for C and it seems to have all the right stuff but I can't run or compile and I was wondering if you can help me resolve this issue.  There are many instructions on the internet where you go into the terminal and install the gcc into the right directory or something but it doesn't work.

	If you have a simpler solution on how I can edit, run and compile C programs I would greatly appreciate the help.  I have spent about 5 hours trying to figure this out and i have hit a dead end.

Thanks
Justin Lowe