Re: Newbie to gfortran needs a little help

On 01/15/2013 04:27 PM, jimmie.davis@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
          integer*4 val

          character*4 cval

          equivalence (val,cval)

          cval = 'ABCD'

20    format('val = 0x',Z8)

           write(6,20) val

          end

Not sure of what you were trying to accomplish.    Does the equivalence
do anything for you ?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to port this old code to Linux. For this particular example, Equivalence does the same thing. That was my first thing to try. I can only assume this is an Endian issue and I will have to deal with it some other way and would have seen it sooner or later even if gfortran did allow me to do it with "val = 'ABCD'. Some of these variables are seen on other machines that are big endian, some are not.

Thanks
Mark