RE: why is g++ relocation error linking only showing when listing objects explicitly?

OK, I found out to use the GCC ar to make it into an "archive"

>ar -r foobar.a <object files>

This appears to work OK.  The archive is around 100MB large.

But I need an .so file instead, created as if by

>g++ -shared -fPIC -Wl,-soname,foobar.so -o foobar.so <object files>

How do I turn the foobar.a into the foobar.so  ???

I try by following the manual in the GNU ld linker, but when I just put foobar.a on the linker command line, the resulting .so is a few thousand bytes only.  Obviously no good.

How to turn foobar.a into foobar.so??

Thank you,

Mark