Re: GCC 4.7.2 stage3 bootstrap error on RHEL6 : collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

> >> Depends on how much trust you place in -jX for X>1 and in my case,
> not much, yet.
> >
> > Why?
>
> The reason for my question is that you keep mentioning the time it
> takes to do a bootstrap or testsuite, which seems a bit pointless when
> there's a proven way to speed it up that you're not using.  If you
> care about the time use -j, but if you don't, why keep mentioning it?

The time is not an interest, only a yardstick to tell me when to look for a result. The quality of the result is what is of great interest to me and GCC 4.7.2 is really not a good quality result, at least not that I have seen other than on a really really old Solaris 8 i386 box.

The time is of interest only because now I know that I can look for a result in six or seven hours and know on the wall clock when to care about looking. This is running on a machine that I use for other things so running a build with -j 8 would sort of kill the box for a while.

Dennis