Re: --with-gmp, --with-mpfr and/or --with-mpc

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Bruce Korb wrote:

On 09/22/12 15:02, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you looking for gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx?

mpc-devel ? (not my platform, I don't even know if that package exists, but
your grep pattern excludes such a package)

yes, it is "mpc-devel" on suse.

one needs the "-devel" packages of all the requirements.

$ rpm -q -a|egrep -i 'libmpc|gmp|mpfr'
mpfr-devel-3.1.0-2.1.3.x86_64      <<<====
libmpc2-0.8.2-15.1.3.x86_64        <<<====
gmp-devel-5.0.5-3.3.3.x86_64       <<<====

and I find no libmpc.*devel package either.

Notice the pattern where -devel packages don't start with "lib"?

I might have posted
this to gcc-help, but that I was pretty sure I had the proper devel
packages -- leastwise for the ones that had devel packages.
I could also have read the configure.ac source code, but I felt
that problems requiring that level of sleuthing was probably more
a GCC developer question rather than a newbie question.

gcc-help vs gcc isn't a newbie vs expert issue, it is using gcc vs developing gcc.

Anyhow, I had two of the three devel packages and I read the error message:

checking for the correct version of gmp.h... yes
checking for the correct version of mpfr.h... yes
checking for the correct version of mpc.h... yes
checking for the correct version of the gmp/mpfr/mpc libraries... no
configure: error: Building GCC requires GMP 4.2+, MPFR 2.4.0+ and MPC 0.8.0+.
Try the --with-gmp, --with-mpfr and/or --with-mpc options to specify
their locations.  Source code for these libraries can be found at
their respective hosting sites as well as at
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/.  See also
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html for additional info.  If
you obtained GMP, MPFR and/or MPC from a vendor distribution package,
make sure that you have installed both the libraries and the header
files.  They may be located in separate packages.

As you can see, all the headers were found, but the configure
tests inaccurately detected a failing version of one or more
of the libraries.  I believe this to be a configure test problem,
whether caused by things that ought to be done differently
in the configure test or whether caused by stuff stripped out
of the distribution (e.g. a libmpc2.pc file).

You still didn't look at the config.log file.

Should I ask gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx for assistance?

You are already there...

--
Marc Glisse