Re: Compile 4.7.1 problems

On 25 August 2012 18:52, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:

> Most people read gcc.gnu.org -> Installation -> 1. Prerequisites

I don't think most people even get as far as reading that document.

> and if GMP et al. is not installed on the system, for whatever
> reason many people try to install these packages and run into
> problems.
>
> Maybe the prerequisites.html could be more specific about what's
> preferred and how to achieve that, e.g.
>
> * link ./GGC-SOURCE/gmp to gmp-x.y.z
> * Run ./contrib/download_prerequisites from GGC-SOURCE
>
> and what's discouraged, i.e. configuring and installing these
> packages by hand.

Patches welcome. I'm thoroughly sick of changing those docs.  If you
think you can make them better please make concrete suggestions.

It already says "If your OS vendor provides packages for the support
libraries then using those packages may be the simplest way to install
the libraries." and I've already re-ordered the text to suugest "If a
GMP source distribution is found in a subdirectory of your GCC sources
named gmp, it will be built together with GCC." first. If people still
choose to use the --with-gmp approach then I suspect they're not
bothering to read the docs, and it doesn't really matter what they
say.

That's why I wrote a separate wiki page with *just* the relevant info,
which we can point people to and which is fairly easily found by web
searches.