Re: gcc-4.7.0 error "ar: Cannot find plugin"

Maxim Yegorushkin <maxim.yegorushkin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I've just configured and compiled gcc-4.7.0. I can compile, link and
> run code with the new g++, however, whenever I run the new ar or nm it
> responds with the following error message:
>
>     $ /usr/local/ots/gcc/bin/ar
>     /usr/local/ots/gcc/bin/ar: Cannot find plugin

That error is coming from a wrapper for "ar" that GCC installs.  GCC
wants the wrapper to use the LTO plugin.  The wrapper is normally
installed under the name "gcc-ar".  I don't know why you are seeing the
name "ar".

Other than that, it looks like a bug that gcc-ar is unable to find the
plugin.  The code is written to assume that make_relative_prefix will
return non-NULL.  But if gcc-ar is installed in the expected location,
then I think it will return NULL.

So I think this is a bug.  I would encourage you to report it.

Ian