OpenMP Flag

Hi,
I have an interesting issue that I stumbled across. If you call gcc with a "-openmp" flag then it doesnt complain but in newer versions it doesnt seem to actually link the openmp libraries. Since it is not really a viable option then shouldnt gcc complain and fail? Was there a past version of gcc that actually had a "-openmp" option? The current option is "-fopenmp" and that works great but I am struggling to solve an issue whose resolution may be tied to this oddity. I cant seem to find compiler options by release number anywhere.
Thanks,
Shawn Seader