Re: Trying again with gcc-4.6.3

On 22 March 2012 08:34, Georg-Johann Lay <avr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Me Myself and I schrieb:
>
>> I am attempting to build the gcj for Windows in a unix-esque shell
>>
>> Trying again with gcc-4.6.3.
>>
>> I have downloaded a program called mcpp, which is apparently a c
>> preprocessor that works.
>>
>> ./contrib/download_prerequisites; works okay.
>> ./configure; works okay.
>

> AKAIK, configure in the source tree is stringy discouraged and not well
> tested. Read the "Installing GCC: Configuration" again.

OK - I give up on this case as well :{

Me Myself etc., we've tried to help, but you keep ignoring the advice
we're giving you.

It explicitly says in the installation guide "do not run ./configure,
this is not supported..."
and links to the following FAQ - http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure

You need to start from a clean, empty, NOTHING IN IT, directory.
Unzip, untar or
whatever the GCC sources, then create a NEW build directory NEXT TO GCC :-

anemptydirectory

 | > gcc-4.6.3
 |
 | > mybuilddirectory

Then :-

cd mybuilddirectory
../gcc-4.6.3/configure
make

Other people have no problem with this, and I use it all the time to
build cross compilers
for the project I'm working on.

I can't understand why you have such a resistance to doing it as
recommended by the
GCC build instructions - they are there for a reason and ignoring them
will likely lead to a
build failure, as you've already discovered.

Regards,

David P.