RE: gcc-4.6.2 build problem related to xgcc not liking '-V' option on i686-pc-linux-gnu

Jonathan,

It should be simple.  But to be fair, there's no mention of the ./contrib/download_prerequisites on the installation website (gcc.gnu.org/install) which is probably the first thing people wanting to install gcc will find.

Also, the prerequisites page essentially tells you to download and install the support libraries, and to put them into the library search path using --with-gmp=/ (etc.).  It even gives you links to the tar.gz files.  The default installation the puts them on /usr/local.

Anyway, doing all that did not work initially, then sort of did work by setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  However, I am having problems with the compilers, possibly since I've gummed things up pretty well at this point.

So I'd like to redo everything using the ./contrib./download_prerequisites script.  When I do that now, the make fails because I have two versions of gmp on the system, one in /usr/lib (version 3) and the other on /usr/local/lib (version 4).  Here's the error:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgmpxx.so.4, needed by /usr/local/lib/libppl_c.so, may conflict with libgmpxx.so.3
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../libgmpxx.so: undefined reference to `__gmp_doprnt_mpf'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

What is your recommendation concerning how to deal with this?  Should I uninstall then re-install gmp-4.3.2 with --prefix=/usr/lib?  I would assume I need to uninstall gmp-3.3.3 first, but would appreciate any recommendations on how to do that cleanly.

Thanks again,
Wharton