Re: Generating a cross compiler

Problems with the mail server caused me to push "send" after saving
into "Drafts" (on the server) failed. So something wasn't ready yet...

11.10.2011 18:29, Kai Ruottu kirjoitti:

I¹m trying to build everything (binutils, gcc, gmp, mpfr, mpc) in a
single
pass which doesn¹t work with mpc as it fails if gmp and mpfr aren¹t
already
installed.

These will be a part of the cross host system, aimed to be built only
once and installed only once, after which one can produce tens of cross
tools which may require them at runtime...

I meant gmp and mpfr, not binutils and gcc... Uptodate hosts will
provide these already so providing mpc sources in the main GCC source
dir should be enough if not wanting to update the system mpc and mpfr.

Building and updating binutils for/in a toolchain separately would be
more sane. Or maybe the thought is "if you have a car with faulty tyres,
you must replace the whole car!", this really absurd claim can be heard
all the time in equivalent (old beards said "analog") cases, but this
is now this ("digital", only-two-choices) world :(

I¹m assuming that crti and the other libs I need are probably in
glibc, so is there a way I can link it into my combined director to
build as a part of the process?

Producing glibc requires installed binutils and GCC - a "working one"
which can create a "Hello World" in C and link it as an executable, I
think - so its turn will be after binutils and GCC. And be built and
updated separately (on the cross host and on the target system).

As can be seen, I believe in "evolution", not in "created only once"
like the puritans :)