Generating a cross compiler

I bet this general subject comes up quite a bit.

I need to generate a cross compiler that will run on my OSX Darwin computer,
and generate objects for a i686-pc-linux-gnu system.

I¹m building with 4.6.1 on a Mac Pro / Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

The compiler builds fine till it gets to needing crti.o, crt1.o, libc.a, and
libm.a.  I would have thought that pieces required for the compiler itself
would have been built in the compiler.  I¹m using the include files from the
target Linux system to build things (since it wouldn¹t get to this point
without them.  If you¹re building a cross compiler to build the target
system, what sense does it make to require files from the target, which
might not exist yet?).

I¹m trying to build everything (binutils, gcc, gmp, mpfr, mpc) in a single
pass which doesn¹t work with mpc as it fails if gmp and mpfr aren¹t already
installed.  I¹m assuming that crti and the other libs I need are probably in
glibc, so is there a way I can link it into my combined director to build as
a part of the process?

Later -

David

--
"... The Crossbow Project. There's No Defense Like a Good Offense. " - Real
Genius (1985)

Don't think it exists?  Google the US Air Force X-37B project.