Re: Generating a cross compiler

David Dudley <ddudley@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I need to generate a cross compiler that will run on my OSX Darwin computer,
> and generate objects for a i686-pc-linux-gnu system.

Building a cross-compiler for a GNU/Linux system is painful.  There are
some scripts floating around.  You should look for those.  crosstool-ng
is one.

> The compiler builds fine till it gets to needing crti.o, crt1.o, libc.a, and
> libm.a.  I would have thought that pieces required for the compiler itself
> would have been built in the compiler.  I¹m using the include files from the
> target Linux system to build things (since it wouldn¹t get to this point
> without them.  If you¹re building a cross compiler to build the target
> system, what sense does it make to require files from the target, which
> might not exist yet?).

You have to stage the build.  The files you mention are, as you know,
part of glibc, not gcc.  gcc is just a compiler and deliberately does
not include a library.  The same issue arises for any cross-compilation:
you need to provide a library.

> I¹m trying to build everything (binutils, gcc, gmp, mpfr, mpc) in a single
> pass which doesn¹t work with mpc as it fails if gmp and mpfr aren¹t already
> installed.  I¹m assuming that crti and the other libs I need are probably in
> glibc, so is there a way I can link it into my combined director to build as
> a part of the process?

You can't do a GNU/Linux cross-build in a single pass.

Ian