Re: _Alloc_hider?

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16 August 2011 12:54, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It starts with an underscore followed by an upper case letter, so it's
>>> in the implementation namespace i.e. it's an implementation detail, so
>>> you're not going to find it in a book.
>>>
>>> [SNIP]

>>> By writing a type that meets the C++03 Allocator requirements, which
>>> yours doesn't.
>>>
>>> If you look at the source you'll see that _Alloc_hider is a type
>>> derived from the string's allocator_type, which is done to benefit
>>> from the Empty Base Optimization.  Since it is derived from the
>>> string's allocator type, it is convertible to the allocator type,...
>> Forgot to ask.... What are the C++03 retirements being violated? Or
>
> Your type isn't CopyConstructible because the copy constructor is explicit.
>
> basic_string::get_allocator() returns by value, which requires
> CopyConstructible.
>

>> better, does GCC publish a specification? (I don't have a bootleg copy
>> of the ISO/IEC copyrighted material).
>
> Why would it have to be a bootleg copy?
> You can buy legal copies electronically or as a book.
I recall the price was inexpensive. My problem was that I did not want
to give up a credit card. Laws and protections in the US are a joke,
and a citizen in another country has even fewer protections and
recourse. I believe I was the later - a US citizen making a foreign
purchase.

Anyway, these standards should be free since they are worldwide (at
least as electronic versions). Its the cost of doing business.

Jeff