Force GCC's configure to cross-compile

I am trying to build a GCC for embedded development. One of my targets is
an X86, as are my development machines. However, I want to treat this as a
cross compile - I do NOT want a change in the host environment's compiler
to impact my targets, so I want to use a completely separate compiler for
my target builds.

However, GCC's configure script "helpfully" detects that my host and
target are "the same" and decides it's NOT cross-compiling. How can I tell
configure that it is damn well building a cross compiler no matter what it
thinks?