Re: (re)build (4.5.2)on seperate directory(nonsource dir), cann't configure

Hi Eric,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:37:26PM -0700, eric wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 19:40 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> > > (You obviously didn't read the installation docs, you're not supposed
> > > to run ./configure in the source directory)
> > This seems to come up alot.
> >
> > Perhaps ./configure should result in error if cwd is the source
> > directory. If it does not error, perhaps it should lock up the
> > keyboard, or shut down the machine to keep folks from moving forward
> > ;).
> >
> > At minimum, it will probably reduce questions on the list.
> >
> > Jeff

> Dear Jeff:
>
>   you ask us to make a different directory to build rather than source
>   directory but in my system, just at configure, it meet error
> -----------------------
> root@eric-laptop:/home/eric/disk# ls
> Contents-i386  gcc-4.5.2  gcc-build  gmp-5.0.2  mpc-0.9  mpfr-3.0.1
> root@eric-laptop:/home/eric/disk# cd gcc-build
> root@eric-laptop:/home/eric/disk/gcc-build# ../gcc-4.5.2/configure
> --enable-clocale=gnu
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking whether ln works... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
> checking for gawk... gawk
> configure: error: building out of tree but ../gcc-4.5.2 contains
> host-i686-pc-linux-gnu.
> Use a pristine source tree when building in a separate tree
> root@eric-laptop:/home/eric/disk/gcc-build#
> plz help
The problem is, that your source tree is no longer "clean" -- as you did
already some ./configure or make calls in the source tree.
The easiest would be to remove the source tree and download a new one
If not, you can try "make distclean" inside the source-tree (that should
be sufficient, but I think it's not officially supported)
> actually I still do that configure in my source directory gcc-4.5.2
> I do
>   ./configure --enable-clocale=gnu
>   make bootstrap
>   make install-no-fixedincludes
>
> still same error of my localetest program
> the doc about how to install/build gcc is from the following link
> ----
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-museum/4.1/LFS-BOOK-4.1-HTML/chapter06/gcc.html
That is the new, up-to-date documentation:
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/

Axel