Re: sys/types.h not found building libiberty during GCC 4.6.x bootstrap for embedded PowerPC target

> [...] Or you can continue the procedure you are
> using, but run "make all-gcc" and "make install-gcc"
> for the first phase.

This advice worked, many thanks. And it not only works with 4.6.1 , it works with the older 4.5.3 too.

> [...] "make all-gcc", but your make command appear to be
> trying to build all of gcc before newlib has been built.

I'm finding it difficult to build GCC cross-compilers. There is advice and patches all over the place, often for outdated GCC versions. I am sure I did not come up with the old "make" and "make install" method for the bootstrap phase myself, I must have found it somewhere, and it did work with 4.5.3 and some other older versions. Something must have changed in the meantime.

Is there a "canonical" way to build GCC cross-compilers? Or some place to find the "right" information for a given version? The information under http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html is not enough, and I didn't have much luck on the newlib website either.

Where can I find information about makefile targets like the "all-gcc" or "install-gcc" you mentioned? I tried "make help" to no avail. They're not mentioned under http://gcc.gnu.org/install/ either.

Thanks again,
  R. Diez