Re: Generate annotations for a binary translator

Hi, Ian

> I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.  gcc does not generate these
> kinds of annotations today.  It is possible for it to generate them in
> the future, if there is some way to make use of them.

  I assume you know a liitle bit about what a binary translator does, or
you can think what it does is like QEMU.

  Take basic block (bb) register usage as an example. It good to a binary
translator to know that a basic block register usage information. Say, bb
A whose binary address starts from 0x100 to 0x120 does NOT use R1, then
the binary translator can use R1 for free.

  I know there is a data structure for basic block. But in order to let
a binary translator use the basic block register usage information, each
basic block must be associated with its corresponding binary (virtual)
address.

  If it is possible to generating such information, which part of gcc
should I look into first?

  Thanks!

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (ééä)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,