Re: -fdump-tree-original

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> kevin diggs <diggskevin38@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know the reason -fdump-tree-original does not work for C
>> in the 3.4.6 compilogical era? Compiling the file as C++ (-xc++) seems
>> to produce useful output.
>
> As far as I can recall, it was invented for C++ in the first place.  It
> was only supported for C with the introduction of tree-ssa in gcc 4.0.

Is 'it' the dump-tree option or the tree representation?

I have jumped to the conclusion that the absence of this option
implies that there are significant differences in the intermediate
tree representations for C and C++.

Since you mention 4.x, The 'dumped representation' in 4.x is quite
different than what is printed in 3.4. Is this due to the internal
representation being different (if any response involves gimple vs
generic, please give some details - i.e. does the 4.x dump represent
generic or gimple?)? Or is it just a different 'design decision' that
the simplified C provides a better representation?

To try to clarify my confusion, could 3.4 do a tree dump for C but it
is just not implemented?

As always, thanks for your time!

kevin