Re: assembler error arm-elf-gcc-4.6.0/libgcc/../gcc/config/arm/lib1funcs.asm ("unknown pseudo-op: `.syntax'" and more)

Steffen Dettmer <steffen.dettmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Steffen Dettmer <steffen.dettmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> while trying to build arm-elf-gcc-4.6.0 I get assembler errors
>>> in thumb/libgcc. I'm having a hard time finding out how to build gcc
>>> correctly and don't know what I did wrong, any hints appreciated.
>>
>> Which version of the GNU binutils are you using?
>> The current release is 2.21.
>
> Yes, this is the version I (hopefully) use: binutils-2.21 in a
> "combined build" (I extracted them to the gcc-4.6.0 directory and
> created a symlink binutils).

In that case you should run the failing gcc command with the -v option
and verify that it is running the assembler that you expect it to run.

I don't see how you could get those errors from binutils 2.21.

Note that as I mentioned earlier combined builds using standard releases
are hard to get right.  Subtle errors are possible, though I would not
expect this sort of problem.  I personally do not recommend doing a
combined build with anything except a check out of the development
sources.

Ian