Re: assembler error arm-elf-gcc-4.6.0/libgcc/../gcc/config/arm/lib1funcs.asm ("unknown pseudo-op: `.syntax'" and more)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Steffen Dettmer <steffen.dettmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> while trying to build arm-elf-gcc-4.6.0 I get assembler errors
>> in thumb/libgcc. I'm having a hard time finding out how to build gcc
>> correctly and don't know what I did wrong, any hints appreciated.
>
> Which version of the GNU binutils are you using?
> The current release is 2.21.

Yes, this is the version I (hopefully) use: binutils-2.21 in a
"combined build" (I extracted them to the gcc-4.6.0 directory and
created a symlink binutils).

I got this error via the built gcc/xgcc, but I get literally the
same error using my old compiler/linker
  (gcc-3.4.3 with GNU assembler 2.16.1, which I successfully use
  for my ARM thumb builds since years, so it should be ok).

> If you don't care about the Thumb mode, you can skip this
> problem by passing --disable-multilib when you run configure.

I'm specially interested in Thumb mode code, because of the code
size.
   (My old installation using an old linker (GNU ld version
   2.16.1) which is not supporting thumb images > 4MB because too
   old to generate the needed stubs, as you kindly explained me
   citing the NEWS file:

   > binutils 2.19: "The ARM EABI linker will now generate stubs for
   > function calls to symbols that are too far away.  The placement
   > of the stubs is controlled by a new linker command line option:
   > --stub-group-size=N." So you may want to consider trying
   > binutils 2.21.
   )

so I'm trying to upgrade, which seems to be more complex as it
seemd to be, as usual :-)

Any help appreciated!

oki,

Steffen