Re: a question about one part of gcc manual

On 26 April 2011 08:08, ali hagigat wrote:
> 3.14 Options for Directory Search
> If a standard system include directory, or a directory specified with
> ‘-isystem’, is also specified with ‘-I’, the ‘-I’ option will be
> ignored. The directory will
> still be searched but as a system directory at its normal position in
> the system include chain.
> What does that mean? Does it mean that the file is found at the
> location -I has specified but it is marked as a system directory? or
> the path specified by -i is ignored?

It means exactly what it says. I'm not sure how to make it clearer.
What part do you not understand?  The -I option is ignored.

If /usr/include is a standard system directory and you say
-I/usr/include then the -I option WILL BE IGNORED.  Any files in
/usr/include will only be found as part of searching the standard
system directories, when the standard system directories are searched
as normal, and obviously the standard system directories are marked as
system directories.

If you say -isystem /foo/bar -I /foo/bar then the -I option will be
ignored.   Any files in /foo/bar will only be found when searching the
standard system directories (including those specified by -isystem).