Re: How to use C89 with certain C99 features

On 05/04/2011 13:09, richardcavell@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm writing an open source project that is designed to run on all kinds
of obscure architectures. My project relies on libcurl, which is in C89
and very portable. I don't want to limit the users' choice of compiler
unnecessarily. So, for example, I use malloc instead of variable length
arrays. Having said that, using long string literals seems pretty
harmless and I can't figure out a way to avoid usage of the other three
C99 features while retaining their functionality.

If you are using C99 features you /are/ limiting the user's choice of compiler. But most compilers support at least the most common C99 features - even compilers on obscure architectures (I work with embedded programming, and have plenty of experience with obscure architectures and limited compilers!).

It can make sense to limit certain C99 features - you mention avoiding variable length arrays, which is a good example of a C99 feature that many compilers do not implement properly.

But somewhere, sometime, you have to draw a line - you can't support everybody and every tool. If your code is better because it uses some C99 features, then use those features and write code that is better for 98% of your potential users. Your code then conforms to C99 standards, but /may/ work on some non-C99 compilers.

mvh.,

David

Richard