PowerPC EABI - prepending ecrti/crtbegin

Hello all,

Currently I'm working on updating our existing PowerPC EABI toolchain to a more recent one. We were using GCC 3.4.2, but I've now built a new GCC 4.5.2 toolchain. Building the toolchain went without any hitches, but building an application for our target yielded unexpected results.

My platform is an embedded OS-less environment; I have my own vectors and bootcode. However, when building with the new GCC, ecrti.o and crtbegin.o get prepended to my own code thus messing up what is meant to be my vector table. The old compiler did not prepend these files and, apart from the compiler, no changes have been made to the build environment (the GCC flags are the same). I've done a fair bit of googling and digging, but I am unsure what the intended approach is for platforms such as mine.

Supplying -nostartfiles to the linker will stop the linker from prepending these files, but it also means I have to supply my own EABI constants (_SDA_BASE_ and co.). Is this the intended way to go about this? Note that I don't want or need the C++ (constructor/destructor/exception) support as provided by these extra files.

--
With kind regards,
Met vriendelijke groet,

AcQ Inducom, the Netherlands