Re: C++ 'extern inline' magic possible?

On 03/01/2011 07:53 AM, David Brown wrote:

If you want the compiler to inline functions where practical, even
across different compilation units, and to use function calls when
necessary, then you should look hard at using LTO. This gives the
compiler the chance to inline function calls even though the definitions
are not available in the compilation unit in which they are used.

That is on my agenda as well to investigate, but since GCC+binutils that support LTO are very, very new and won't be in LTS-type Linux distributions for some time, we can't quite expect our users to have them available.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming@xxxxxxxxxx