Re: FW: Huge binaries

Sorry, Chris, I couldn't debug a stripped binary with gdb because the computer said there
wasn't any debugger information in that file.

Did the compiler tell your computer to optimize the programs that caused the huge binaries?

By the way, years ago, when I used GNAT 95, Professor Michael Feldman said that GNAT's
linker would include in the binary each program from every library the Ada 95 program
needed.  If you told the machine to optimize the binary, it only deleted the extra routines
from the binary.

Cheers,
Bill
Chris Hite writes:

> Hi, I'm upgrading from 4.4.3  => 4.5.2 and the size of my already large
> binaries got even bigger.
>
> 60MB - stripped old or new
> 180MB - old release binary with debug info (-g)
> 1200MB - new compiler with same flags
>
> strings are only a small part of the debug info:
> 45MB - strings <binary>
>
> I'm using a bunch of meta-programming.
>
> Did something big happen between these versions?
> Are there any options between the stripped binary and the 1.2GB version?
> Can I debug a core from a stripped binary using a non-stripped binary?
>
> Chris

Please visit a saintly hero:
http://www.jakemoore.org