Re: options for later passes

Hey Kevin,

Is there an easy way to figure out which options need to be passed to
later compilation passes?

Well, I think it's quite easy: it depends on what you want to build, how you want to build it and which library it requires. For example, gcc/linker can't know that function xyz() belongs to libabc.

What should be used for assembly:

gcc -c ??? gcc1test.s

I doubt that you really need to assemble a file directly, but it also depends on your needs. I would say that default options (though no specific options) could be sufficient.

I am pretty sure the link will need the -fpic.

-fpic _should_ be used when building a shared library.

Probably also something like -pthread?

Only, if you are building a multi-threaded application. If not, you don't need to specify -lpthread.

> So as a general rule should it see the cpu (or arch) option?

Sorry, but this also depends. If you for example build an application to be used by a Linux distro which might run on a various number of CPUs, you would possible use the "generic" option, but if you are building a high-performance application, you would specifically tune your application for the target processor.

Does anyone else need the -O2?

No, only the compiler (cc1, cc1plus, ...)

P.S.:  Do the order of the optimization options matter: '-O2 -mcpu=750
-mmultiple' the same as '-mmultiple -mcpu=750 -O2'?

No, it shouldn't. GCC firstly reads in the parameter and then does a post-processing on the options where necessary.

Best regards,
Andi