Re: Why gcc manual does not explain some sections

ali hagigat <hagigatali@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> When I use gcc-4.4.2 (Fedora 12, 32 bit machine) it creates 10
> sections for a simple C program with just a line of code like:
> .iplt, .rel.dyn, .igot.plt, .shstrtab, .symtab and .strtab
> Why gcc manual only talks about .text, .data and .bss? What are the
> other sections? What they are used for?

This stuff is OS dependent and the gcc manual doesn't usually bother to
document these details.  In any case these sections are generated by the
assembler and linker, not by gcc.  You should be looking at ELF
documentation, not gcc documentation.

.iplt and .igot.plt are used for STT_GNU_IFUNC symbols.

.rel.dyn holds dynamic relocations applied by the dynamic linker.

.shstrtab holds the names of the sections.

.symtab holds the symbol table.

.strtab holds the names of the symbols.

Ian