Re: how can we enhance alias optimization when building a front end ?

charfi asma <charfiasma@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> I red in the GCC internals doc that building e new GCC front end (compile
> directly your source language rather than generating C langauge and then use gcc
> to compile)
> can enhance some optimization passes:
>
> "... GCC front ends benefit from all the optimizations in GCC.  Some of these,
> such as alias analysis, may work better when GCC is compiling directly from
> source code then when it is compiling from generated C code ..."
>
> I built a new GCC front end and I am interested in enhancing optimizations.
>
> Any example (with any front end) or any idea  that can explain How can we
> enhance alias when building a new GCC front end ?

You can define LANG_HOOKS_GET_ALIAS_SET to tell the middle-end which
pointers can alias each other.  See, e.g., c_common_get_alias_set to see
how the C/C++ frontends do it.  Note that type based aliasing is a
complex issue.  This langhook refers specifically to type based alias
analysis.  You should read about that on the web.

Ian