Re: compile on AIX 5.3 for AIX 4.3 - is crosscompiler required?

JÄdrzej Dudkiewicz <jedrzej.dudkiewicz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What do you mean by "copy the whole environment"? If I build with
> --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.5.2, is it enough to copy that directory? I guess
> not. So should I also copy /usr/include and /usr/bin/as, /usr/bin/ld
> and so on, as you wrote earlier?

The latter.

> Should I use any other options than
> --prefix (any other that I would normaly use?)? Should I use all
> options mentioned (--with-build-sysroot, --with-sysroot, --build,
> --host, --target)?

Hmmm.  I guess you should use --with-sysroot, and arrange for the system
tools and libraries to be available under the same on both systems.

> And as we are at it - it seems that configure script from mpc does not
> obey CONFIG_SHELL variable - I set it, as documentation recommends, to
> bash, as default /bin/sh is terribly slow. I built gcc 4.5.2 on
> mentioned AIX 5.3 and "configure" script from "mpc" (I'm almost sure
> it was mpc, as I hadn't such problems with earlier versions of gcc,
> which require only mpfr and gmp) run for almost two hours! Is there
> some clever way to force usage of bash, or should I use brutal force
> and link bash go /bin/sh or change "/bin/sh" to "/usr/bin/bash" in all
> scripts?

I don't know anything about mpc.  I guess brute force is the answer.
Please also send a bug report; see http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/ .  Thanks.

Ian