Re: a question about -x language option

On 8 December 2010 06:02, ali hagigat wrote:
> Thank you Jonathan for the nice explanations. I think it would be
> better off adding what you wrote to the gcc documentation.
> Please consider these:
>
> assembler  assembler-with-cpp
> f95  f95-cpp-input
>
> So assembler-with-cpp means an assembly file which must be
> preprocessed? It means that assembler alone won't do preprocessing.

Right. The C preprocessor is not normally used for assembler, and for
the x86 assembler (and other targets) the # character starts a
comment.

> But c or c++ alone does preprocessing(they did not define c-with-cpp)!!

Of course, the preprocessor is a required phase in the processing of
standard C and C++ source code.

> and another thing is f95-cpp-input, does it mean like assembler-with-cpp?

I believe so. Again, the C preprocessor is not a standard step in
compiling Fortran code, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/Preprocessing-and-conditional-compilation.html