Re: using static libraries

Hi Andrew,

Op 29-11-10 11:13, Andrew Haley schreef:
I'm working on a software-package to create voice-announcement on D-STAR
repeaters (radio-amateur digital voice repeaters).
I use three external libraries: libsndfile (read the wav-file), pthread
(posix threads) and rt (for timed interrupts).
(...)
As the repeaters by default run a version of CentOS where "libsndfile"
is not installed, nor present in the default repostitory, it needs to be
installed from source.

I wouldn't do that.  In the end, linking statically with various versions
of the same libraries will only lead to choas,  I'd grab libsndfile from
EPEL.

Well, the problem is that most hams are completely unfamiliar with linux (even sysops op a DV-repeater :-) ). Their experience does not go much further then insert a CD in the drive and install the software they need by just following the steps in the manual.

So I was looking for something that had the least possible impact on their systems. I really want to avoid crashing somebody elses box so that people who never really "worked" on linux then need to get it fixed.

I'm not sure but I guess that installing one package from source would still be less potentionally dangerous then adding a repostitory (which could impact dependencies to other packages).
Or am I wrong?

What do you think?

Andrew.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.