Re: proper configuring & installation ???

kevin diggs <diggskevin38@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Are you saying it would have been better for me to install both 3.4.6
> and 4.3.5 into ... say /opt/gcc and then use -V <3.4.6> or <4.3.5> to
> run one or the other?

More or less, but rather than using -V I would recommend running
gcc-3.4.6 and g-4.3.5.

> What does --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs and its buddy
> --with-gxx-include-dir=<dirname> do?

The --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs option puts the runtime
support libraries into a directory specific to that version of gcc
rather than into the shared lib directory.  If you use that option,
though, you will once again have multiple directories to add to the
runtime search path.  The --with-gxx-include-dir option lets you specify
where the C++ standard headers should be installed; the default is
version-specific.

> Would disastrous space-time
> continuum consequences result if I tried to install multiple versions
> into the same prefix without using this runtime-libs option thingie???

No.  But you should install the older compiler first, then the newer
compiler.

Ian