proper configuring & installation ???

Hi,

I am trying to build a version of GCC that can compile Linux for
PowerPC. The stock 3.3.3 for YDL (YellowDogLinux) can not. I tried the
latest 3 series I could find (3.4.6). This failed to work as well. So
I used it (3.4.6) to compile 4.3.5. On a PowerMac GigE (dual 7455) I
can compile 2.6.36 and get it to run. I am having NO luck getting a
PowerMac 8600 with a 750GX processor to build a kernel that will work.

I decided to test the compiler by building Firefox 2.0.0.15pre. Once I
discovered that neither the 750GX nor the 7455 have fsqrt (i.e. no
-mpowerpc-gpopt), I think I have a firefox compiled with 3.4.6 that
will run.

Not so lucky with 4.3.5. When I first started trying to compile
firefox with a compiler other than the "installed" 3.3.3 I found that
I had to add stuff to /etc/ld.so.conf so the compiler could find some
of its internal libraries (like libstdc++). It looks like:

/opt/GMP-4.3.2/lib
/opt/MPFR-2.4.2/lib
/opt/gcc-3.4.6/lib
/opt/gcc-4.3.5/lib

This caught me by surprise. I expected the compiler to deal with these
internal parts on its own? I have no idea how to tell the firefox
build system about the location of these internal compiler
libraries???

I just discovered that if I reverse the order of the gcc lib
directories when trying to run the 4.3.5 compiled firefox it will
actually come up. The abcnews web site will nuke it though. The 3.4.6
firefox seems able to handle it. The 4.3.5 build was done with the
original 3.4.6 libs first order. Don't know what impact that will
have? Anyone?

I guess the first step out of my forest of confusion is to figure out
if I am configuring or installing this thing wrong? The configure line
looks like (cfg-gcc-4.3.5.sh):

#!/bin/bash

export CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=7450 -mmultiple -mstring"

BOOT_CFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
        CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET="$CFLAGS" \
        LIBCFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
        LIBCXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
        CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
        FCFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
        CXXFLAGS_FOR_TARGET="$CFLAGS" \
        GCJFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
        JCFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
         ../gcc-4.3.5/configure \
                --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.3.5 \
                --with-system-zlib \
                --with-gmp=/opt/GMP-4.3.2 \
                --with-mpfr=/opt/MPFR-2.4.2 \
                --with-gnu-ld \
                --with-gnu-as

All of the *FLAGS= lines are an attempt to build without debug for the
size reduction. Not having much luck on that front either.

As always, thanks for the help!

Also, I have built a slightly newer binutils (2.16.1 vs 2.15.9) and
installed it in /opt as well. Maybe that is causing my problems
because it is misconfigured???

kevin

P.S.:  As a special bonus can anyone enlighten me on what cxa_atexit
and secure-plt are? Should I enable them? How do I figure out if I can
enable them???