Re: Clarification on Gcc's strict aliasing rules

On 11/10/2010 01:16 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
...elision by patrick...
The aliasing rules are nothing to do with C99: they have always
been in Standard C.
Thanks. I didn't know that (or if I did I forgot somewhere). I just really noticed people talking about strict aliasing lately (the last 3 or 4 years I've seen it a lot). Do you think it's because the compilers are getting better at complaining about type-punning that's outside of the aliasing rules?
You really ought to refer to the standard, so people can see the
official rules for themselves.
That's a good point. I suppose I could put a link to a publicly available draft version of the C and the C++ standards. Is there anyplace now where a final (non-draft) version of some version of the C and the C++ standards if freely available to the public?

I've seen though that often people go to the standards and look at the aliasing rules with a strange world view and get more confused about aliasing and not less. That's really the point of my document, to get regular developers to understand what aliasing is before they go and look at the rules so they understand what they're reading. Do you suppose it would be appropriate to refer them to the standards at the end of the top section, before I start the type-punning section?

Patrick
Andrew.