Re: Clarification on Gcc's strict aliasing rules

On 11/7/2010 1:37 AM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

Is it because some programs out there don't care to be compliant and
want play trick with aliasings with -fno-strict-aliasing ?
Yes.  Quite a lot of programs actually; largely not on purpose.

I thought it was done with the intent of making the code non-portable. "it works on the only true compiler for the only true OS"
"that's the way everyone did it back in 1985"
That sounds weird since -fno-strict-aliasing seems to be enabled when no
optimisation levels have been passsed.
-fstrict-aliasing is enabled at -O2 and up, yes.  I don't understand
what you find strange here?

At -O0, most optimizations where strict-aliasing would make a difference, or violations might be discovered, are suppressed.

--
Tim Prince