Re: Doubt about -fprofile-generate

Dear Rafael,

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 01:04:21PM -0700, rafael ferraz wrote:
> Good night everyone,
>
> Im in doubt about the use o fprofile-generate. When I run my program to generate
>
> .gcda files. Later I will compile my code with the flag of -march optimization.
> I will need to generate diferent gcda files to every compilation?

There is a checksum in the gcno files that is compared to in the gcda
files. The idea of this is that a different compilation run (e.g.
different source code, different optimization flags) might generate
different graphs of basic blocks, thus the gcno files would be outdated
if not rebuilt. If you exactly know what you are doing (e.g. that no
of the march switches would change your basic block graph which from
gut feeling I would rather doubt) it is not too hard to modify gcov
in a way so that this check is disabled.

hth,

--
Holger Blasum (SYSGO AG)