Re: GCC label numbering

Joel <torpe@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Apparently, at least for MIPS target, GCC generates labels starting
> from 2: $L2, $L3, etc.
> Do you know why the numbering begins at 2 ?

$L1 is generated for the return label for the function, a label which
the code will branch to in order to return.  However, because MIPS can
return directly, and because of branch delay slots, the return label is
almost never used and winds up being discarded.  There is probably some
way to write a function such that the return label will be used, but I
couldn't do it in five minutes.

Ian