Re: Bug in Build System of gcc-4.5.1? Cannot Find libmpc.so.2

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Tom Browder wrote:

I have passed to configure the '--with-X=Y' options to where gmp,
mpfr, and mpc are installed.  I have defined LDFLAGS with the location
of their libraries.  I have passed the '--with-stage1-ldflags=X'
option with the same information.

All this, yet I still get a build failure with these messages in the
"gcc_build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc/config.log" (note the build
directory is outside the gcc source tree):
[...]
/home/tmb/src/gcc_build/./gcc/cc1: error while loading shared
libraries: libmpc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

The --with-* options only tell the compiler where to find the stuff at compile-time, not at runtime (not that they couldn't, but they don't, gcc hates runpaths). For a static library, that's fine. For a shared library in a non-standard location, you need to pass some -rpath flags to the linker, for instance through LDFLAGS (and BOOT_LDFLAGS?). Or use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but that sucks.

--
Marc Glisse