Re: Problems building gcc 4.5.1 on AIX 6.1

On 08/26/10 12:55 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 04:25, Dr. David Kirkby<david.kirkby@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I'm using an IBM server running AIX 6.1 and are trying to use it to build
I used

* gmp 5.0.1

Also, gmp for ppl-0.10 use has to be configured:
   export CPPFLAGS=-fexceptions
   ./configure  --enable-cxx

-Tom

Sorry, what I'm confused about is do I really *need* pll at all? My understanding from what you said is that

* ppl and cloog are needed only for Graphite loop optimizations.
* libelf is only needed for gcc LTO support.

If so, I'd rather just ignore ppl, cloog and libelf for now.

I'd like to install the absolute minimum number of extra libraries if possible, since

1) There are more things to go wrong

2) I am very limited on disk space, and its hard to argue for more when I don't pay for the machine.

If I understand you correctly, using only:

* gcc 4.5.1 // The latest
* gmp 5.0.1 // The latest
* mpfr 3.0.0 // The latest
* mpc 0.8.2 // The latest
* m4 1.4.14 // The latest

would be sufficient. The *only* reason my build failed was because I did not have GNU m4. Is that correct?

If so, I'd rather use those 5 packages, rather than add anything that's unnecessary. Once I start using libelf, cloog, ppl I must start using older specific versions and generally it seems a lot more hassle. The fact all those libraries have low version numbers, need specific versions, rather suggests the combinations will be less reliable.

It's taking hours to build gcc on this machine. I really want to keep the install to the minimum needed.

Once I get my own older AIX machine running, then I don't mind spending a bit more time on a more complex but complete installation. But for now, I just want something that works with the minimum hassle and minimum of disk space usage.

Dave