Re: Make error, link test in zlib for cross compiler

I have found some more information on this issue. Make, at the gcc level
runs the configure script in zlib. The error is occurring in the
configure script of zlib. In particular the following code is producing
the error:

 # Some binutils ld are patched to set DT_RUNPATH
  if test "${lt_cv_shlibpath_overrides_runpath+set}" = set; then :
  $as_echo_n "(cached) " >&6
else
  lt_cv_shlibpath_overrides_runpath=no
    save_LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS
    save_libdir=$libdir
    eval "libdir=/foo; wl=\"$lt_prog_compiler_wl\"; \
	 LDFLAGS=\"\$LDFLAGS $hardcode_libdir_flag_spec\""
    if test x$gcc_no_link = xyes; then
  as_fn_error "Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES."
"$LINENO" 5
fi

This code is executed twice, once with gcc_no_link set to no and another
with it set to yes. It is on the second pass that the error occurs. On
the first pass the variable lt_cv_shlibpath_overrides_runpath is set to
no, however on the second pass it has lost it's value. I have not yet
found out why it is losing it's value.

Another interesting thing I found was that during the first pass, the
library is compiled in a subdirectory of gcc called "64". The target of
this compile appears to be the x86 platform, not the arm.

Also for some reason the gcc compiler being found is gcc   -m64. I have
not yet found out why.

Hopefully with this information some one can give me some guidance.

Thank You,
Donald Schlicht.