Re: Gcc 4.4.4 GPL question

xiaoyi wang <xyaswang@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Our Legal department asked us to make sure that the generated binary
> code by this version of gcc doesn't contain any binary code from those
> three libraries (GMP, MPFR and MPC). If we cannot prove that, we
> cannot use this compiler. Are there official documents that state the
> binary code in these three libraries are not in any gcc runtime
> libraries and thus not in gcc generated binary code?

This is free software.  There are no official documents at all.  What
kind of official document could your legal department possibly find to
be satisfactory?  Why is your legal department focused on GMP, MPFR, and
MPC, when there is plenty of code in gcc proper which is not covered by
COPYING.RUNTIME?  The COPYING.RUNTIME license only applies to those
files in gcc which are marked as granting the additional permissions.

I promise that code from GMP, MPFR, and MPC does not wind up in a binary
compiled with gcc.  You can verify this for yourself by looking at the
source code.  I'm a global reviewer for gcc, so perhaps your legal
department will accept that as official.  If you want this to be
documented in some other way, do you have any suggestions?

Ian