Re: Need C optimization help

On 5/15/2010 2:13 PM, Bill McEnaney wrote:
Please forgive me for potentially silly question that may not help Mark
speedup his program.  If I understand the "const" keyword, it tells the
computer that after a const variable gets its first value, that
variable's value will be unchangeable.  So I wonder why our friend has
declared some const variables inside a for-loop and why those variables
appear on the left sides of the assignment operator inside that loop.
Silly question: Could Mark's computer be wasting time by trying to
change the value of a variable that already has an unchangeable value?

No, const simply asks the compiler to notify you when you write code which changes the value. It doesn't make a lot of sense if the value is to be modified intentionally. It does seem like a good idea to clean that up, particularly when Mark seems to have difficulty understanding which messages relate to his concerns.

--
Tim Prince