Re: building cross compiler fails for target powerpc-linux-gnuspe

Kai Ruottu wrote:
Unclearly told... The right words would have been: "can TRY TO use it to compile all kind of things like a Linux kernel and here the 'libgcc' library". It has taken years since I last compiled a Linux kernel but I assume it not requiring a 'libgcc' for the target system. Producing 'libgcc' however needs the standard C headers for the target Linux system.... The 'include/asm*' and 'include/linux', the "kernel headers", should be enough when producing a Linux kernel, it is assumed (by me) to not require anything from 'libgcc' like "soft-float" routines for a CPU without a FPU...
Again, when one must guess, googling helps, with search words "libgcc required in kernel compile"
the first hit was :

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0711.1/0937.html

Generally I myself wouldn't use my time to these "should it or should it not work" etc. issues but simply provide something which surely should work, in your case that "complete GCC" with some (temporary) glibc, be it then only for a generic Linux/PPC and no optimal support for
the SPE CPUs.

So:

Adding the '--with-sysroot=$sysroot', where $sysroot is your own choice for the suitable place for the target C library ('glibc'), into your binutils and GCC configures. And then unpacking the main 'glibc-*.ppc.rpm' and the 'glibc-devel-*.ppc.rpm' or some '.deb'
equivalents  into it :

    $sysroot/lib
    $sysroot/usr/include
    $sysroot/usr/lib

would be a good start in the "build a complete GCC" project. Later when needing the optimal 'powerpc-linux-gnuspe' glibc, building it from glibc sources and installing it into the same $sysroot would come in question. It would then be ready to be copied into
the root filesystem on the target platform, the runtimes from it....

Another route when one doesn't want to learn how to build binutils, GCC and glibc separately, one at a time, is to try those "scripts for dummies", the "crosstool*" ones. AFAIK they will always start from absolute scratch and don't teach anything about how one builds these components one at a time, when needing to fix or update one
of the components....