Re: Newbie: ARM cross compiler GCC

F. Fennek wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> F. Fennek wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to build a cross compiler for a cortex M3 ARM target on a
>>> Linux host.
>>> And I have a rather basic question.
>>> If I google on ARM toolchain I find a lot of help BUT most toolchain
>>> builders are scripts and most of them use patches of some sort.
>>> The scripts (or work flow) are mostly explained rather good but where
>>> the used patches come from are never explained.
>>> So my question is:
>>> Do I need patches to build an ARM cross compiler when I use the GCC source code?
>> It depends on your target OS.  When I build a ARM Linux cross-compiler, I use
>> unpatched gcc sources.
>>
> I'm trying to use gcc for an embedded system (no OS, or maybe a simple RTOS).
> Possibly I don't even want to use newlib or glibc, but that's a new
> question I think. I make one step at a time.

Well, that's going to be much harder.  You can't build a compliant C
compiler without some kind of library, which is why people who want
naked systems build a gcc for newlib.  There's no reason not to build
a gcc that targets newlib, as you don't have to call newlib if you
don't want to, and it makes building everything much easier.

Andrew.