Newbie: ARM cross compiler GCC

Hello all,

I am trying to build a cross compiler for a cortex M3 ARM target on a
Linux host.
And I have a rather basic question.
If I google on ARM toolchain I find a lot of help BUT most toolchain
builders are scripts and most of them use patches of some sort.
The scripts (or work flow) are mostly explained rather good but where
the used patches come from are never explained.
So my question is:
Do I need patches to build an ARM cross compiler when I use the GCC source code?

Thanks a lot.

Regards, Robert